Māori Committee

Open Minutes

 

Meeting Date:

Friday 11 September 2020

Time:

9.02am – 10.30am

Venue

Large Exhibition Hall

Napier War Memorial Centre
Marine Parade
Napier

 

 

Present

Ngāti Pārau Hapū Trust – Chad Tareha (In the Chair)

Mayor Kirsten Wise

Maungaharuru-Tangitū Trust – James Lyver

In Attendance

Director Community Services, Senior Māori Advisor, Deputy Mayor Brosnan, Councillor Mawson, Councillor Browne, Councillor Boag, Councillor Tapine, Councillor McGrath, Interim Chief Executive, Director Corporate Services, Director City Strategy, Communications and Marketing Manager, Manager Asset Strategy, Manager Community Strategies, Marketing Manager, Manager Property, Principal Māori Advisor, Policy Planner

Administration

Governance Team

Absent

Pukemokimoki Marae

Mana Ahuriri Trust

Te Taiwhenua o Te Whanganui-a-Orotū

 


Māori Committee - 11 September 2020 - Open Minutes

 

Karakia

James Lyver

Apologies

The Committee accepted the apology from the Maraenui & Districts Māori Committee representative, Adrienne Taputoro.

Conflicts of interest

Nil

Public forum

Te Kaha Hawaikirangi and Jonathan Dick on behalf of Te Wai Mauri Environmental Trust

Te Kaha and Jonathan spoke to their presentation. Te Wai Mauri Environmental Trust is the environment arm of Ngati Pārau Hapu Trust. A deterioration of the awa, Tūtaekurī, has led to the trust undertaking a number of environmental enhancement activities, including planting, wetland restoration and whitebait spawning projects. As a result of their efforts endangered birds and white bait have reoccupied the wetlands.

Project Nurture is the latest kaupapa of the Trust, who are looking to become a preferred mana whenua supplier of Napier City Council. This will help provide training and work opportunities for unemployed whānau. This is work whānau want to do, as being a kaitiaki has mana. Te Kaha on behalf of the Trust is seeking acknowledgement of support for this kaupapa.

The present Committee members all tautoko the mahi of the Trust, and asked that Council look to support the kaupapa as it is not just about planting trees, but also about planting lives.

Announcements by the Chairperson

Nil

Announcements by the management

Nil

Confirmation of minutes

C Tareha / Mayor Wise

That the Minutes of the meeting held on 10 July 2020 were taken as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

Kua Mana

 

Note the meeting scheduled for 14 August 2020 did not proceed due to lack of quorum.


Māori Committee - 11 September 2020 - Open Minutes

Agenda Items

 

1.    Ford Road Extension - Land Legalisation

Type of Report:

Legal

Legal Reference:

Reserves Act 1977

Document ID:

960497

Reporting Officer/s & Unit:

Bryan Faulknor, Manager Property

 

1.1   Purpose of Report

To seek confirmation from the Māori Committee that they retrospectively endorse the revocation of reserve status for a small part of a Drainage Reserve where it crosses under the Ford Road Extension in Onekawa.

 

 

At the Meeting

The officer spoke to the report. It was noted:

·         A number of retrospective land issues may come to the Committee as the District Plan process is worked through.

·         Guidance is sought as to how consultation is best undertaken on these types of matters moving forward.

·         Previously consultation has been through the Taiwhenua and the appropriate Marae representative. For the Ford Road extension, consultation at the time was likely with one person who represented both entities; the records from the time are unclear. There has been no recent consultation with Mana Whenua.

·         Recognised that it is not ideal to be considering these types of matters retrospectively; it is important that the appropriate processes are put in place to ensure the Council process is correct in the future.

The Committee is an advisory body, not a consultative one and in light of that the recommendation will be endorsed only subject to appropriate consultation now being undertaken with Mana Ahuriri, Ngati Pārau Hapu Trust and the Taiwhenua.

 

 

Officer’s Recommendation

The Māori Committee:

a.     Endorse the revocation of Reserve status for Drainage Reserve land as described in the Schedule below.

 

 

SCHEDULE

Hawkes Bay Land District - Napier City

Area

(hectares)

Legal Description

Identifier

 

0.0588

Section 6 SO Plan 453204

CFR HBV1/660

 

0.0054

Section 7 SO Plan 453204

Part CFR 209528

 

0.2343

Section 8 SO Plan 453204

Part CFR HBH2/1500

 

0.0612

Section 10 SO Plan 453204

Part CFR HBE4/998

 

Committee's Amended Recommendation

The Māori Committee:

a.     Endorse the revocation of Reserve status for Drainage Reserve land as described in the Schedule below, subject to appropriate consultation being undertaken first.

 

SCHEDULE

Hawkes Bay Land District - Napier City

Area

(hectares)

Legal Description

Identifier

 

0.0588

Section 6 SO Plan 453204

CFR HBV1/660

 

0.0054

Section 7 SO Plan 453204

Part CFR 209528

 

0.2343

Section 8 SO Plan 453204

Part CFR HBH2/1500

 

0.0612

Section 10 SO Plan 453204

Part CFR HBE4/998

 

 

 

Kua Mana

 

 

2.    Terms of Reference for Ahuriri Regional Park Working Group

Type of Report:

Operational and Procedural

Legal Reference:

N/A

Document ID:

945420

Reporting Officer/s & Unit:

Yvonne Legarth, Policy Planner

 

2.1   Purpose of Report

To enable appropriate awareness, questions about implications and feedback about the Napier City Council and Hawkes Bay Regional Council Joint Working Group that focuses in the main on the land administered by the organisations that is adjacent to Te Whanganui-ā-Orotu. 

 

At the Meeting

The following points were noted:

·         Co-chairs have been appointed; Deputy Mayor Annette Brosnan from Napier City Council and Councillor Hinewai Ormsby from Hawke’s Bay Regional Council.

·         There is no map of the Ahuriri Regional Park yet as the working group are looking at the scope of the project, including allocation of wetland areas, species specific areas, and also assessing if stock banks need to be moved.

·         A number of landowners and stakeholders will be included in discussions with the working group, and a map will be provided once there is one to share.

·         The working group are happy to share the minutes of their meetings with other groups as appropriate.

·         There are three member of Te Komiti on the working group.

·         The working group intend to engage with all hapū that are kaitiaki in the area being discussed.

·         The concept was fully supported by the Future Napier Committee at its meeting on 10 September 2020.

The Committee noted:

·         The legacy value of this project should be brought forward in the Terms of Reference.

Committee's recommendation

The Māori Committee:

a.     That the information be noted.

 

Kua Mana

 

 

The Chair elected to take agenda items out of order to accommodate the Reporting Officers.

 

4.    Napier Recovery Funding

Type of Report:

Information

Legal Reference:

N/A

Document ID:

952626

Reporting Officer/s & Unit:

Richard Munneke, Director City Strategy

 

4.1   Purpose of Report

To provide an update on two funds established to progress the aims of the Napier Recovery Plan.

 

At the Meeting

The Director City Strategy spoke to the report noting:

·         Officers are working hard to identify issues which the community will be experiencing now and in the future as a result of the impact of COVID-19.

·         As well as support for business innovations, Council has the Te Puawaitanga fund which supports natural environment initiatives which in turn also help to build a sense of community.

·         The fund allocation is ongoing and this meetings report is already out of date. Applications are being received regularly.

·         The two funds are only one aspect of the recovery plan, not the only approach.

The Committee expressed concern for current job seekers who will be competing with those yet to lose their employment due to the impact of COVID-19. Council ask business applicants to its funds to draw on local job seekers for the mahi they wish to carry out. The Committee recommended the recovery group connect with the Ministry for Social Development and Non-Government Organisations to provide support. Council is already doing this, but can do more.

Committee's recommendation

The Māori Committee:

a.     Note the information on two recovery funds recently established, those being:

·      Recovery Projects Fund

·      Te Puawaitanga – Green Communities Together Fund

 

Kua Mana

 

 

 

 

3.    Lease of Reserve - Magnet Cafe

Type of Report:

Legal

Legal Reference:

Reserves Act 1977

Document ID:

939800

Reporting Officer/s & Unit:

Adele Henderson, Director Corporate Services

 

3.1   Purpose of Report

To obtain approval to grant a new Lease for the ‘pop-up’ style Magnet Café currently operating from a repurposed shipping container on the northern end of the Marine Parade Foreshore Reserve.

 

At the Meeting

In response to questions from the Committee it was clarified:

·         The Council receives 5% of the gross revenue of the Café.

·         The Café has been received well by the community and is doing a good trade.

·         The contract is on a two year renewal to give the business some surety, but also to give the Council some flexibility so other opportunities are not stymied. Other businesses along the Marine Parade have a similar contract for this reason also. 

The Committee noted it would be good to have a consistent action plan for leases along the Marine Parade so it is consistent.

ACTION:

1.    The Committee are to be notified how the greywater from Magnet Café is disposed of.

2.    Report on process for lease reviews and tendering for smaller sites along the Marine Parade to be brought to Council.

Committee's recommendation

The Māori Committee:

a.     Recommend that Council agree to grant a new lease, under Section 54(1) (d) of the Reserves Act 1977, for a pop-up café to continue to occupy the northern part of the Marine Parade Foreshore Reserve.

b.     That the initial term of the new lease be for a period of 2 years plus two rights of renewal of 2 years each.

c.     That the placement of outdoor furniture be allowed outside of the leased area but such placement to be approved by Council’s Team Leader Parks, Reserves, Sportsgrounds.

 

 

 

 

 

Committee's amended recommendation

Mayor Wise / J Lyver

The Māori Committee:

a.     Recommend that Council agree to grant a new lease, under Section 54(1) (d) of the Reserves Act 1977, for a pop-up café to continue to occupy the northern part of the Marine Parade Foreshore Reserve.

b.     That the initial term of the new lease be for a period of 2 years plus two rights of renewal of 2 years each.

c.     That the placement of outdoor furniture be allowed outside of the leased area but such placement to be approved by Council’s Team Leader Parks, Reserves, Sportsgrounds.

d.    That the terms of the lease specify that greywater is disposed of appropriately off-site.

Kua Mana

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.    Te Reo Māori Me Ona Tikanga

Type of Report:

Operational and Procedural

Legal Reference:

N/A

Document ID:

949725

Reporting Officer/s & Unit:

Morehu Te Tomo, POU TĀHUHU | SENIOR MĀORI ADVISOR

 

5.1   Purpose of Report

The purpose for this paper is to approve the development of a Te Reo Māori policy due to the growth of Te Reo me ona Tikanga used in Council.

 

At the Meeting

The Senior Māori Advisor spoke to the report noting:

·         All the Māori Advisors across Hawke’s Bay’s Councils have come together as a group to support each other in the development of Te Reo Māori policies and initiatives.

·         Current practices at Napier City Council is to put a ‘Māori lens’ on a project halfway through, which makes it hard for it to be meaningful. This lens needs to be applied from the beginning of projects. A goal will be that the policy will become a strategy.

·         Te Reo is an evolving language and Council needs be utilising relevant up-to-date resources in order to get it right. This means consulting with Ngāti Kahungunu and mana whenua to get a sense of what is expected from Council with Te Reo and Tikanga.

·         Staff are wanting to learn the language, and there are currently 15 doing an EIT course.

·         The Māori advisor group are developing a cultural app to be launched to all the Council staff working within the Ngāti Kahungunu region. This will have examples of waiata, pepeha, karakia and Marae names, and will be updated regularly.

The Committee supports the development of this policy, but feels it is even more important to consult over the implementation of the policy once developed. Many other Councils have a policy but no implementation; the previous Napier City Council Māori Consultative Committee endorsed implementation without a policy, but this also was not the right approach, both elements are needed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Committee's recommendation

The Māori Committee:

a.     Approve that the Senior Māori Advisor leads the Te Reo Māori policy process. 

b.     Approve the Senior Māori Advisor to engage with external authorities to participate writing the policy.

c.     Investigate best practice for Council staff to follow process and procedures.

 

Kua Mana

     

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UPDATES FROM PARTNER ENTITIES

 

Maungaharuru-Tangitū Trust – James Lyver

 

1.   The second wave of COVID in Aotearoa drove a review of MTT’s COVID response and it’s relationships with partner entities, especially with Tihei Mauri Ora, and also with Civil Defence.

2.   The MTT Annual General Meeting will be held online. It is hoped that whānau will overcome technical concerns and attend virtually.

3.   The five year plan was at the printers. Strategic priorities have remained unchanged as they were confirmed to be appropriate.

4.   MTT continue to build a solid team. It is a robust organisation with good business continuity.

5.   As it was James’ last hui he congratulated Mayor Kirsten Wise on her leadership. Thanks was extended for the consistency of communication and approach that has been demonstrated by the Council so far this term. No new General Manager has been appointed, but an interim MTT representative will attend this Committee until a permanent appointment is made.

 

Napier City Council – Mayor Kirsten Wise

 

1.    Council has adopted the Annual Plan. It has been a lot of work for council  staff and Elected Members and thanks was extended.

2.    Council has two big projects underway, the Long Term Plan and the District Plan. Mana Whenua and the Māori Committee will be included in these.

3.    It was raised for later discussion that the Māori Committee huis could be live streamed. The four standing committees and Council meetings are all live streamed.

4.    Membership and sustainability of this Committee is a priority of Council, and conversations continue with other parties about joining this Committee.

5.    The Mayor thanked James for his significant contribution to this Committee whilst he has been a member.

 

Ngāti Pārau Hapū Trust – Chad Tareha

 

1.    Thanks was extended to James for his significant mahi and support.

2.    Ngāti Pārau had their Annual General Meeting last week. They have gained funding to complete the Marae. There are plans to build a nursery next to the Marae. 400 native plants have been planted along the awa, and there are more seedlings growing for next year’s planting.

3.    The Trust is liaising with the Eastern Institute of Technology to establish a Kaitiaki course for whanau, and what areas of training this could include.

4.    There is a meeting next week with Ngāti Pārau, the Council and Mission Estate. This relationship is progressing well.

 

Maraenui and Districts Māori Committee – Adrienne Taputoro

 

No update due to Adrienne being an apology.

 

 

GENERAL BUSINESS

 

District Plan

It was asked if the Committee could ask Council to provide support and resource to the six entities for the district plan work, noting that many working in the Committee / Māori space are volunteers. When implementation or consultation needs to occur there could be a fund to help with resourcing to encourage growth within the entities.

·         This has been explored previously and learnings have been gained in regards to a service agreement.

·         It is hard to resource equally across entities as they are all different, but further thinking is underway.

·         A set annual fee for entities was suggested.

·         The need to ensure engagement across Council occurs was noted. Engagement fatigue is recognised and funding for resourcing is being discussed along with prioritisation of projects. 

 

 

The meeting moved into committee at 10.30am in order to consider public excluded minutes of the July hui.

 

 

 

Approved and adopted as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

 

Chairperson .............................................................................................................................

 

 

Date of approval ......................................................................................................................